Thursday, November 30, 2006

Snow on trees and building good websites

We are relaunching the site soon. we want to ensure the site is the best it can be with regards to search engines and also people transferring to buying when they are on the site. There is lots and lots to do for search engine optimisation, its amazing ! people don't talk about it but they have thought about it! Trust me, every web page with a site map - well, that's there for the search engines ... Its amazing really, a site needs fantastic copy, be usable, get conversions for sales and also you have to think about the search engines, what they need ,what these robots need! Its enough to make one think again about having a web site, because whats the use without the viewers and ultimately the buyers?! Maybe I shouldn't say all this stuff on my blog but I've always been a straight forward , truthful soul so why stop now?
So my top tips if you are creating a website - warning I am about to get slightly technical ish but I think you need to understand a little bit to make your web site the best it can be for search enginges anyway :-
a) think about its goal
b) work out an SEO (search engine optimisation ) policy to get to this goal
c) design the content, links , graphics around the SEO
d) make sure you have a CMS (content management system) so you can update your website whenever you want, not your web agency.
e) Enjoy it!
f) Look at this blog looks really easy to understand and informative. Love the snowy trees also!
g) there are loads of other places to look for creating a website, it all goes back to my point in a you really need to think about what your goal is and then go through relevant steps!

3 comments:

Yura Filimonov said...

Thanks for the mention.

Glad you liked the trees (I was hoping they are visible there).

I'd like to remind you to create the website for the people, with the search engines in mind. It doesn't mean that you don't need to consider a lot of things, quite the contrary. I am guessing it is quite a vague advice, so learning what the search engines like first to apply it to the humans may be in order.

entrepreneur mum said...

thanks for your response yuri. Am intrigued to find out how you knew I added your blog to my post? But yes, I agree with what you are saying, you must always think of us humans, but the first thing to do in your website preparation is to look at where you want to be with regards to SEO and then think about the design / content with all of this in mind.

Yura Filimonov said...

I have noticed your incoming link from the Dashboard in WordPress. This is available through the pinging mechanism, which also pings websites, which the blog links to.

I'd like to add that 'creating for the humans' should be possible with extensive knowledge of marketing, site usability and accessibility. When you have that, SEO is just an addition to the whole process.